Celebrating 30 Years of Paediatric Gastroenterology in Bristol and the Commonwealth
10th September 2018
10am to 6:30pm at Avon Gorge by Hotel Du Vin, Bristol BS8 4LD
- 9.30am Registration and coffee
- 10.30 Introduction by Dr Christine Spray and Prof Bhupinder Sandhu
- Welcome by the Hon Guest Lord-Lieutenant of Bristol Mrs Golding OBE
- First Session Chair : Prof Bhupinder Sandhu & Dr Huw Jenkins
- 10.45 Birth of ‘BSPGHAN and CAPGAN’ and background to setting up of
Paediatric Gastroenterology Department in Bristol. Dr Martin Brueton,
London – Mentor to BS and co-host with BS of Inaugural BSPGHAN Meeting. Past
- 11.15 Bristol’s Research contribution to understanding abdominal pain:
RAP to IBS. Dr Sonny Chong, London – Co-member Porto Group with BS & CS
- 11.45 Children of the 90s: Understanding stool pattern changes in normal and
autistic children and other GI studies. Prof Jean Golding OBE, Bristol.
- 12.15 Bristol’s contribution to IBD research ESPGHAN, Porto Group and management of children regionally, nationally and internationally. Prof Mark Beattie, Southampton – Co-author with BS of UK Paediatric IBD Guidelines
on behalf of BSPGHAN and Mentor to AW. Past President BSPGHAN &Editor ADC.
- 12.45 Improving clinical care of children in the south-west through clinical network. Panel discussion. Drs Broad, Paul, Knight, Gowda, Cordingley
( Thorpe, Hart , Heaton et al) SW Region Clinical Network.
- 1.15-2.15 pm Lunch
Second Session Chair: Dr Chris Spray & Dr Eleni Volonaki
- 2.15 Advances in Hepatology “The future” Prof Deirdre Kelly CBE, Birmingham – Mentor of CS, as ESPGHAN President
was member of FISPGAN Council with BS (then President of CAPGAN)
- 2.45 Advances in Paediatric Nutrition: Dr Susan Hill, Great Ormond Street, London - Member of CAPGAN Exec with BS.
Introduction by Dr Tony Wiskin.
- 3.15 Advances in Paediatric GI surgery and therapeutic endoscopy. Ms Eleri Cusick Paed GI
surgery lead /Dr Dharam Basude Endoscopy lead Bristol.
- 3.45-4.15 Coffee
Third Session Chair: Prof Ian Sanderson & Prof Alan Phillips
- 4.15 Specialist training in Bristol. Panel of past Bristol Specialist Gastro trainees: Drs Devadason,
Onyeado, Bremner, Selvarajan, Lee et al
- 4.45 Future of Specialist Training and role of ‘BSPGHAN. Dr Susan Protheroe, Birmingham (Ex- Bristol
University, President Elect BSPGHAN, Chair CSAC).
- 5.15 CAPGAN and Bristol’s Role in improving clinical care of children in the Commonwealth. Dr Neelam Mohan, New Delhi,
India (current President of CAPGAN) and Professor Peter Sullivan, Oxford (past President of CAPGAN).
- 5.45-6.00 Close of meeting Prof Bhupinder Sandhu OBE .
- 6.20-7.20 Champagne reception at 20 West Mall, Clifton
- 7:30 -9.45pm Dinner at the Clifton Club. ( Dress smart Casual).